Monday 11 February 2008

Remembering Roy Scheider

I thought rather than go on about how sad I am at the passing of another truly talented actor, I'd just mention a few of my favourite Roy Scheider performances. Obviously he'll always be remembered for Jaws, but as a kid I also thought he was great as the helicopter pilot facing off against Malcolm McDowell in Blue Thunder. For me he always outshone the leads in his two most famous supporting roles in Marathon Man and The French Connection. I also thought he was fantastic in Last Embrace and brilliant as an aging hitman in Cohen & Tate. But the one I'll remember most is his role as a desperate criminal in hiding in Sorcerer. That might just be because it's the one I saw most recently, but it really is an amazing performance and I recommend it to anyone who hasn't seen the film.

No comments: