So last night, evening 2 of 3, I had a bit of a panic about writing a 15 page script in 3 evenings. Which was a a bit different to my attitude at the weekend when I was all '15 pages? No problem!' By the way, 15 pages is the limit, not the requirement and that's become part of the problem - my idea is a bit over-ambitious and perhaps more suited to a feature than a short.
Anyway, Monday I wrote a two page treatment then tried to re-work it a bit, but that took me until 2 in the morning and it wasn't in a position to be turned into an actual script. My plan for last night was to rework the treatment and get a first draft finished. I'm busy tonight, so that leaves Thursday for a second draft.
Reworking the treatment took a bit longer than I thought. It was basically about simplifying it and getting it to the point where I felt it was good enough to work from. It was about 10pm when I started the first draft script, and it was then that I realised setting the film on Coney Island in the 1950s required an awful lot of research that I hadn't really done. So I spent about an hour collecting photos and confirming that the parts of Coney I saw last year and wanted to use would've been there in 1955. I then started putting this into the script and quickly realised that most of it didn't need to be in there. But after a rather slow start I got into the flow of it and managed 10 pages by 1.30am.
And it's kind of going okay. I'm starting to doubt my premise a bit - i'm not sure my macguffin is being used to full effect. But even if it's not good enough to get through to the next round, I'm enjoying working on something different and I'm happy with the characters I've created for it - they may well live on in something else further down the line.
The Urban Sasquatch Journal: Tricky Manipulations - This is the reporting by a Bigfoot researcher of an ongoing study in the Southern part of the United States in a very large park area near homes and urba...
19 hours ago