Saturday 7 February 2009

Week of Awesome Things Pt. 2: Son of Moviebar

Moviebar is a short film/film quiz/networking evening that takes place at the Cornerstone pub in Brighton on the first Tuesday of every month, and something I have mentioned more than a few times in this blog. This week local filmmaker Luther Jones organised the event for the first rebranded Son of Moviebar. It was an excellent night and the pub was packed out with filmmakers and people who were interested in films. The quiz was ace (mainly because my team won and I came away with Peeping Tom on DVD - excellent film) and the films screened were of a really high quality. I'm not sure I'll have time to do it for a while, but I always come away from Moviebar wanting to work on my own shorts again and that's one of the great things about it.

Anyway, I just wanted to mention it here to say well done to Luther for putting on an excellent night and to share some of the films with people who aren't able to go along. It's going to be fairly selective - I'm only going to post videos that are under 5 minutes long as I know no one is going to sit and watch a load of 20-30 minute videos in one go, plus only a few of them are online. Luckily this time I managed to find some of the best ones from the evening:

The Crunch: This is a trailer for Luther's surreal office drama about two computer programmers slowly driving each other mad. It's a great technical achievement and the dialogue and performances were fantastic, but the best thing about it is probably the visuals as shown here:



Monkey Cup - 7 Seconds of Love: Back in December I posted Moog's Cup of Brown Joy which is excellent - go and check that out if you haven't seen it. This is another of his films which also features cups but with the added bonus of monkeys:



Apparently: One of those perfect short films with a great punchline. Also notable for a couple of Brighton feature film connections - it features Adam Chapman who played the lead villain in Left for Dead as well as one of the players in The Penalty King, and was written by Robert Cohen who played the surgeon in Left for Dead.



I think the next one will be on the 3rd of March and if you want to keep up to date with it you can join the Son of Moviebar facebook group here. If you're in Brighton I seriously recommend coming along, but for everyone who isn't I'll probably try to do the same thing with any of the films I can find next month.

No comments: